Friday 12 October 2007

Moving to Italy

Bit stressed at the moment, as I have just left the job I had teaching for a couple of hours a week - it didn't pay the rent but it was the impetus for coming out here in the first place, so now I feel a little like I need to reassess my reasons for being here, although I'm still happy I am. There's a couple of things coming up for me so I'm not too worried.

Finding work is actually pretty easy in Italy for a mothertongue (madrelingua) English speaker (assuming a willingness to teach!). Padova isn't that big - not even one of the largest cities in the Veneto, but it still has several dedicated English schools that take on teachers (even the nearly-qualified like me). A couple of my friends work in an international school, for parents who want their kids to grow up here speaking English fluently. They're forbidden to speak Italian at work; not great for their language acquisition, but okay for their bank balances.

I'm lucky in being able to be so casual about my work prospects and decision to move. EU citizens have the right to live and work have the right to live and work in any member state, so I can move between the UK and Italy. There's not even a need for a permesso di soggirono since the beginning of this year. After three months I have to register with the Anagrafe and prove financial means, but that's the only hoop to jump through in the actaul being-allowed-to-stay process (... she says, confidently).

No comments: